UPSC Mains 2023 – Exam Date, Syllabus, Paper Pattern, Question Paper
UPSC Mains 2023 is to be held from 15 September onwards. Candidates who are going to appear for the upcoming Mains exam must start their revision now by practising through test series and previous year papers. UPSC Mains is the second stage of the Civil Services Examination conducted by the Union Public Service Commission in India.
Aspirants who have cleared the Prelims are eligible to appear for the UPSC Mains 2023, which is a challenging and decisive phase in their journey towards becoming civil servants. In this article, we will delve into the essential aspects of the UPSC Mains and provide valuable tips to help aspirants conquer this significant milestone.
UPSC Mains Exam Date 2023
The UPSC Mains Exam date is typically announced in the official annual calendar of UPSC. However, the complete schedule is released only after the Preliminary Examination results are declared. The UPSC Mains 2023 exam will take place on 15, 16, 17, 23, and 24 September 2023.
|Prelims 2023 Result declared on||12 June 2023|
|DAF 1 activated on||10 July 2023|
|Last date to fill DAF 1||19 July 2023|
|UPSC Mains Admit Card release date||To be released|
|UPSC Mains 2023 Exam Date||15th September 2023 – Essay16th September 2023 – GS Paper 1 and 217th September 2023 – GS Paper 3 and 423rd September 2023 – Indian Language and English24th September 2023 – Optional Papers 1 and 2|
How to Prepare for UPSC Mains 2023?
It is crucial for candidates to find out the best preparation strategy for themselves to successfully ace the UPSC Mains exam. Everyone has a different learning style, but the following areas are common which can be included in the study plan of all candidates for a sound preparation strategy:
- Thorough Understanding of Syllabus: Aspirants should meticulously go through the UPSC Mains syllabus to comprehend the scope of each subject and the specific topics to cover. Understanding the syllabus helps candidates tailor their preparation accordingly.
- Intensive Study and Time Management: Consistent and focused study is essential for success in the Mains. Aspirants should allocate sufficient time for each subject, keeping in mind their strengths and weaknesses. A well-structured study timetable is critical for managing time effectively.
- Emphasis on Current Affairs: UPSC often integrates current affairs into GS papers, making it crucial for candidates to stay updated with the latest developments in politics, economy, environment, and international relations.
- Writing Practice: Since the UPSC Mains is a descriptive examination, writing practice is crucial. Aspirants must hone their writing skills, focus on clarity of expression, and develop a coherent and structured approach to answering questions.
- Mock Tests and Previous Year Papers: Solving mock tests and previous year’s question papers can help candidates get familiar with the UPSC Exam Patern , understand the type of questions asked, and work on time management.
- Revise Regularly: Regular revisions are indispensable for the retention and reinforcement of knowledge. Candidates should revise all the subjects periodically to enhance their memory and grasp of key concepts.
How many Candidates are selected for UPSC Mains 2023?
A total of 14624 candidates are selected for the Mains 2023 examination. Every year, lakhs of aspirants appear for the Prelims exam, out of which only a few thousand make their way to Mains.
The number of candidates selected for the Mains Examination is usually a fixed ratio of candidates to vacancies. The UPSC determines this ratio based on the available vacancies.
UPSC Mains Admit Card 2023
The UPSC Mains 2023 Admit Card is an essential document that allows candidates who have qualified the Preliminary Examination to appear for the UPSC Mains Exam. The Commission releases the admit card on its official website 2 – 3 weeks before the UPSC Mains exam date.
How to Download UPSC Mains 2023 Admit Card?
To download the UPSC Mains Admit Card, candidates need to follow the steps outlined below.
- Go to the official website of UPSC at www.upsc.gov.in or https://upsconline.nic.in/.
- Look for the “Admit Card” or “E-Admit Card” section on the UPSC website’s home page. You can usually find this section under the “Examination” tab.
- In the Admit Card section, you will find a list of ongoing and upcoming examinations conducted by UPSC. Find the link for the Civil Services (Main) Examination Hall Ticket.
- Click on the link provided for downloading the Mains Admit Card. Enter your Registration ID/Roll Number and Date of Birth/Password to log in. Make sure the details entered are accurate.
- After logging in, you will be able to see your UPSC Mains Admit Card on the screen. Click on the “Download Admit Card” button. The admit card will be saved in PDF format.
- Verify all the details mentioned on the admit card, including your name, photograph, signature, examination centre, and timing.
- Along with the admit card, there might be important instructions or guidelines provided by UPSC. Make sure to read them carefully and adhere to the exam-day instructions.
List of UPSC Mains Exam Centres
The Union Public Service Commission conducts the Civil Services Mains Examination at various centres across the country. The list of UPSC Mains Exam centres can vary each year based on the number of candidates and administrative considerations. Here is a list of some of the major cities that have been designated as UPSC Mains Exam centers in the past:
How to Apply for UPSC Mains 2023?
Before applying for the UPSC Mains Exam, candidates need to qualify the Preliminary Examination. Mains is the second stage of the Civil Services Examination, and only candidates who clear the Prelims are eligible to appear for the Mains. To apply for UPSC Mains, candidates need to follow the below steps.
- Fill DAF 1: After clearing the UPSC Prelims, qualified candidates need to fill out the Detailed Application Form available on the UPSC website. The DAF is a comprehensive application form that requires candidates to provide personal, educational, and other relevant details.
- Upload Documents: Candidates need to upload scanned copies of their documents, including educational certificates, category certificates (if applicable), photograph, and signature, as per the specifications mentioned in the DAF.
- Pay the Examination Fee: After filling out the DAF and uploading the documents, candidates need to pay the required examination fee. The fee can be paid online through various payment modes provided on the website.
- Submit the Application Form: After completing all the above steps, candidates need to review the application form, verify all the details, and then submit it online. Once the form is submitted, no changes can be made, so candidates must review it carefully before submission.
- Print the Application Form: After successfully submitting the DAF, candidates should take a printout of the application form for future reference.